Monday, July 20, 2026

The Villages Plan - Why it's time for Vancouver City Council to postpone the balance of the Public Hearing

Today I attended the second day of the Public Hearing on the Villages Plan. I gave up an afternoon to attend since I believe the plan is so flawed the Public Hearing should be stopped now. As you will see from the following slide show that I had intended to present, the presentation materials prepared by staff are very seductive.. But they are most misleading since they show how things might look in 50 years. But they don't show the chaos that could occur while the plan evolves.

(As it happened, I wasn't allowed to show my presentation since it wasn't submitted a day before the first Public Hearing. Now why would this be city policy when most thoughtful presenters want to avoid repeating what has already been said, over and over again?)

These are the 21 slides I wanted to share. My key message? End the public hearing before listening to the next 200 speakers and direct staff to prepare maps and illustrations that show what the proposed new high streets might look like say every four years, and also show what's happening to the existing high streets like Dunbar, or Fraser, or West 10th in Point Grey. 





















No comments: