Saturday, October 25, 2014

Madrid!

I came to Madrid to attend a Lambda Alpha Honorary Urban Land Economics society weekend. It was an indulgence, especially since I had been to Madrid in 2011 following a house exchange in Valencia with Sally. I’ll never forget that visit, not just because it’s a magnificent city, but also because I caught a young girl in the act of pickpocketing Sally. We also ate a memorable dinner at Sobrino de Botin…. the oldest continually operating restaurant in the world.

Before the conference I spent a day wandering around the neighbourhoods near our hotel, the Gran Melia Fenix. By the way, it is a very nice hotel, in a wonderful location.

Near the hotel was a fascinating development that appeared to be a converted theater. It featured three levels of restaurants which I discovered when I entered through a very elegant food store
 
 

I was very saddened to come across this carbuncle that intruded into a streetscape. It turned out to be a relatively new sports centre. Not a pretty site.


One of the things I did like was how at certain intersections the corners of all four buildings are cut-off. It's a subtle device to create a more attractive intersection. I first saw this in L'Example in Barcelona.

I want to see these wonderful ornate facades to come back in style!