Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Furry Creek - Developer's presentation to August 11th, 2022 Public Hearing


Over the past 51 years I have been involved with well over a hundred planning and development projects. I am sometimes asked to name those of which I am most proud. 

This list includes the South Shore False Creek which I managed while at CMHC; UniverCity, the community at SFU; Bayshore; Deering Island (where I currently live); Hollyburn Mews in West Vancouver; Elm Park Place (the building with the curved balconies) in Kerrisdale; Oak Gardens, at 42nd and Oak; and the Steveston Waterfront from No 2 Road eastward, which I rezoned in the early 80's on behalf of BC Packers.

One project that should be at the top of this list is the 1036-acre Furry Creek community. As noted in a recent blogpost, in 1990 the new owner of this property retained me to manage planning and approvals for a recreational/resort/residential community. In less than one year, plans were prepared and approved by the SLRD and provincial government for a golf course, up to 550 single-family lots and 370 multi-family homes, a 300-room resort, a minimum 80-berth marina, and ancillary commercial and community facilities.

However, while I am proud of obtaining approval for the golf course's 14th hole that juts out into Howe Sound, and the clubhouse designed by Brian Hemmingway, for many years Furry Creek was not on my list of my proudest achievements. In 1992 I was dismissed from the project due to disagreements with the ownership group on phasing and other aspects of the development. During the following 25 years, I watched the original Japanese developer Tanac go into receivership and other developers fail to create the community I had envisioned. 

This all changed in 2017 when Fine Peace Canada retained me to undertake due diligence on a potential purchase and subsequently invited me to assist with future planning and development. Since then, I have watched this company improve the golf course (although I would still like to see some holes made easier!); expand and renovate the clubhouse; and participate in a highly collaborative planning process. Working with some very accomplished consultants we are designing a more sustainable community with far fewer single-family lots, a broader range of housing, (including midrise apartments along the waterfront); and a new Village Centre that will become the 'heart', of the community, like that achieved at UniverCity with its town square and Cornerstone building.

Last Thursday, a Public Hearing was held on the revised proposal. This has been highlighted in previous blogposts. The following are my initial speaking notes and the slides presented before the SLRD heard from the community.

MG Speaking notes:

·    Here tonight representing Fine Peace Furry Creek Developments Ltd-owned Furry Creek for past 5 years.  With me is Derek Neale, architect for Oliver’s Landing who has prepared all the new plans; Kevin Healy, civil engineer who once worked for Tanac; Margot Long, PWL who has been involved with many projects along Sea-to-Sky corridor; Together we have almost 100 years' experience at Furry Creek! Jamie Van Struth, an economist.  Since 1998, Vann Struth Consulting Group has specialized in economic development and fiscal impact analysis at local, regional, and national levels.

Now that you have heard from SLRD planners, I have been invited to provide the developer’s overview on the proposed zoning amendments.  I have timed my remarks and they should not take more than 12 minutes.

Before starting, Fine Peace has asked me to tell you it very much regrets the disagreements within the community caused by this zoning bylaw amendment application. During my five-decade involvement with oftentimes controversial planning and zoning applications I have often witnessed this. However, I have also learned that once a zoning decision is made, conflicts are usually forgotten, and the former sense of neighbourliness and community returns. Fine Peace very much hopes this will happen at Furry Creek. I am confident it will.

The following are the slides presented to the community.































1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But Michael currently they have a permit for 750 homes but the existing land only has space for 250 townhomes as they built single family homes all over the zones and the former owners ran out of land.
Fine Peace has bought extra land trying for this heavily criticized or praised rezoning .This is summarized on one slide at the public meeting, I photographed the slide but I cannot upload it here. (Tried) No upload facility on this blog. FCC1 FCR1 FCR2 FCR3 bought in 2017 -Golf Course FCC1 FCC2. You get what you pay for in my world. " Build what you have paid for" Jonathan