Wednesday, August 31, 2022

CO-LIVING: Everything old is new again. Coming soon to Vancouver!

My first two living arrangements after leaving my parents' home were 'co-living' arrangements. The first was a furnished room in an old house on Bathurst Street near UofT where I lived with six other people (including Carl Nilsen, a highly respected Vancouver appraiser). When I joined CMHC in 1972, I lived in Pestalozzi College https://lindaseccaspina.wordpress.com/2021/10/05/i-lived-in-pestalozzi-college-life-in-ottawa-1972/. While I didn't know it until later, when the president's office learned that I had moved into this building, they had the RCMP investigate my past! After all, I looked quite different than I do today.

I mention this since around the world 'co-living' is becoming an increasingly popular (and necessary housing choice) as housing costs outpace incomes. While older structures are being used, some new buildings are also being built. I first heard about this concept at a housing conference in New York where representatives of https://www.common.com/ and other similar companies spoke.

I subsequently referred to co-living in various columns including this Vancouver Courier story on how to keep younger people from leaving the city. https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/courier-archive/opinion/how-to-keep-young-people-from-leaving-vancouver-3061519

This morning I came across an article describing some of the new co-living accommodation in London UK. It is well worth reading since I expect to see new highrise co-living buildings being built in Vancouver. I am sure they will raise some interesting zoning and building bylaw issues.

This can be a much more affordable form of housing. But expect the rent in all new projects to be higher than the $65/month I paid in Pestalozzi!

https://www.archdaily.com/985811/how-are-co-living-spaces-in-london-offering-solutions-for-rising-urban-density-and-real-estate?utm_medium=email&utm_source=ArchDaily%20List&kth=242,933 

1 comment:

شركة مكافحة الحشرات said...

افضل شركة عزل فوم بالرياض يعد عزل منزلك مهمًا للغاية - خاصةً عندما نريد جميعًا أن نكون مرتاحين قدر الإمكان بينما نقوم بتوفير المال والطاقة. إن إعادة تركيب المنزل نقل عفش بالرياض الموجود يزيد من كفاءة العزل ويغلق أي تسرب للهواء في غلاف المنزل. فكر فيما ستوفره عن طريق عزل منزلك. فمثلا:
• 60 في المئة من تسرب الهواء في الخارج مكافحة الحشرات
• 25 في المئة من تسرب الهواء بسبب الطابق السفلي غير معزول
• عن طريق إضافة العزل ، سوف تقضي على أي مشاكل الرطوبة التي تواجهها
• تعد إضافة العزل الطريقة الأولى لتوفير المال على فاتورة الكهرباء الخاصة بك غسيل خزانات بالرياض
• تعد إضافة العزل أكثر فعالية من حيث التكلفة من استبدال النوافذ افضل شركة عزل فوم بالرياض افضل شركة عزل بالرياض
• مع تركيب المزيد والمزيد من عزل البولي يوريثين رغوة الرش ، فإنه أكثر فعالية من حيث التكلفة من شركة عزل فوم