Wednesday, July 3, 2013

HafenCity Hamburg: One of the most significant waterfront redevelopments in the world

The first time I saw images of HafenCity I was in the German pavilion at EXPO2010 Shanghai. It seemed most impressive undertaking and I decided at the time I would visit it one day.  O

ver the past 40 years I have been involved with 24 waterfront redevelopment projects, and I'm quite partial to them.

HafenCity involves a significant number of different initiatives, and you can learn about them here. http://www.hafencity.com/en/home.html

But in the meanwhile, here are a few images including the new Philharmonic Hall, which is causing considerable controversy in Hamburg for reasons that are no doubt obvious from the photos!

 
Most of the old warehouses have been renovated for a variety of new uses

I know that this very rectangular, boxy architecture is not for everyone, but I like it, and also the blue apple


I'd be interested in learning more about this new apartment complex



The area is linked to the city by a new underground line, which is very reminiscent of the Jubilee Line that links Canary Wharf to the City of London

No comments: