Thursday, March 2, 2023

March 2, 1981- 42 years ago today.

Forty-two years ago today, on Monday March 2, 1981, after spending 10 years with CMHC, I walked into Narod's office on the 22nd floor of 650 West Georgia and started working in the private real estate sector. I remember the day quite vividly since by 5 o'clock, Roger Moors had sold me a MURB unit in Mariner Point, even though Sally and I couldn't afford to buy a place to live.

I enjoyed two wonderful adventurous years at Narod. !981 was a good year for the real estate industry. We had lunch most days in the Garden Lounge or Pavillon in the Four Seasons. David Mooney usually ordered a bottle of Corton Charlemagne when we were having lobster and it was not unusual to finish a meal with a bottle of Chateau Yquem. It had been a condition of employment that I take up golf and I got to stay at some fine resorts where our 'management sessions' were held and play some of the better courses in the Pacific Northwest and California. But it didn't last long.

Two years later, on March 9th, 1983, the Queen arrived in Vancouver, and the receivers arrived at Narod's office. I was the only officer there to greet them since David Mooney, Craig Waddell and the others were in Hawaii playing golf. However, whatever happens is often for the best. 

Two of the receivers retained me to help finish Mariner Point and continue with the rezoning of 92 acres of BC Packers' Lands on the Steveston Waterfront. 

Thanks to these receivers, and BC Packers who also asked me to continue with the rezoning of its property, Michael Geller & Associates Limited (MGAL) was incorporated and has been active for the past forty years.

It has been a most enjoyable time. There were a couple of disappointments. I was unable to rezone the Spetifore Lands in Delta, after 26 nights of public hearings. Yes, 26 nights. I also failed in a bid to rezone Langara Gardens for three more highrises, after obtaining approval for a fourth tower on West 57th, over George Puil's vigorous objection. But some of the company's successes included rezoning of three blocks in Point Grey next to the Jericho Lands; Furry Creek,, Bayshore, Deering Island, and more recently Park West and the Travelodge site in North Vancouver.

Over the four decades, the company undertook eight development projects in Vancouver and West Vancouver, on its own, or in partnership with others.

Later this year, some events are planned to mark the 40th anniversary of the company. I look forward to getting together with the many clients, architects, contractors, and others with whom I have worked over the four decades. But for now, I'll simply reflect on all the changes that have taken place in the city since I started with Narod, 42 years ago today. Thanks to all who have made it such an enjoyable ride! 




 



No comments: