Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Reubens Sport Sijsele: The best bicycle shop in Belgium

As I have often mentioned, most Belgians use a bicycle to get around for work or pleasure. While bicycle thefts can be a problem, one way to deter them is to have a 'built-in' locking system. I first noticed these rear wheel locks when I was in Sweden, and planned to buy some for our bikes in Canada, but they were quite heavy, and I assumed I could buy them at home. But in fact, I could not find them in a number of shops, and eventually gave up.So yesterday, while driving through a small town called Sijsele on my way to Bruges, I decided to stop at a large bike shop on the main street to buy some locks....since it had an OPEN sign in the window.

"I noticed your sign. Can I assume you speak English?" I asked. "Of course" said a very attractive lady behind the counter. In fact, my husband is from Vancouver Canada."

Out of the thousands of bicycle shops in Belgium, we just happened to pick the one owned by a Canadian from Vancouver! He came to Belgium 22 years ago to race, and stayed. But he proudly wears the MAPLE LEAF on his racing jersey. And now, so do I, since he and his wife wouldn't let me leave the shop without giving me my own RUBENS SPORT SIJSELE racing shirt. I was also given some matching socks.

Sally has asked me not to buy matching spandex shorts until I lose 20 pounds!So, if you are ever in Belgium and need something for your bike, you might want to check out Rubens Sport, or go to their website at reubenssport.be. I suspect you too will find a lot of products not available in Canada. You can also read about the amazing life of a Canadian cyclist who races all over the world

C'est vraiment une petite monde.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have read so many articles or reviews concerning the blogger lovers but this
piece of writing is genuinely a fastidious paragraph, keep it up.


Visit my webpage declaring bankruptcy in florida